A home gym will change the way you exercise forever. Especially now that social distancing is not going anywhere soon. And, there is no doubt about the convenience and benefits of investing in home gym equipment. So take a look at our home gym essentials checklist as we list what the best equipment for a home gym is and guide you in even the smallest yet significant nuances.
Beginner’s Guide to Set-up a Home Gym. Here is How to Start?
There is no arguing the emotional and physical benefits of exercise. First, there is the convenience factor. You won’t have to worry about traveling to the gym in intense weather, when you are pressed for time or not feeling motivated enough to venture out of your home. Second, having home gym equipment provides you with privacy and personal space. Finally, owning your own home gym essentials is another step toward ensuring that you are going to stick to your fitness routines to reach your goals – no more excuses.
But, building a home gym is not cheap … and you certainly need to set some preferences. Here, we will share with you 7 of the best home gym essentials you will need to start making your workout space happen. Keep in mind that you can always acquire more exercise equipment and grow your gym over time. But for beginners, we will suggest sticking with this home gym essentials checklist first.
This won’t overwhelm you with the expense. And, you will be able to build workable routines accordingly.
So, let us talk about:
What is the best equipment for a home gym? And, where to start setting up your home gym.
We say start with the basics. It is very natural to drool over Instagram-worthy pictures of home gyms. But like fitness goals, setting a fitness pad will take time. Moreover, in the beginning, you will just need the basics.
Before we start, let us talk about money.
How much does it cost to make a home gym?
The cost can vary according to several factors including the quality and brand of equipment. With our other guides on pre-built home gym systems, you can easily invest in the best home gym under $1000, under $500 or even take a look at our best budget home gyms under $300.
But if you want to customize your space with the best home gym equipment, however you’ve come to the right place! Here is what you need from our home gym essentials checklist with details below:
Home Gym Essentials Checklist
Set the Stage for your Home Gym Equipment:
The first thing you need in a home gym is to make it look and ‘feel’ like a gym. Dedicate a space in your garage, basement or an extra room in your house for your own gym.
So to begin, let’s start simple with a few home gym essentials and must haves on our checklist that will help you in setting the area for a gym.
1| Best Gym Mat:
The first, most basic thing you need for your home gym will be a gym mat. Even for those doing yoga and needing no equipment, gym mat is important. Here are the benefits of a gym mat.
- Gym mats protect the gym floor from heavyweight home gym equipment.
- They give the perfect amounts of cushion to protect the body during the exercise.
- And, they create a non-slip surface which is very important for exercise.
We suggest Sunny Health & Fitness Exercise Equipment Mat as an affordable option for gym mats. You can find the mats in a variety of sizes. They are tear-resistant, non-slip mats that are a must-have for a home gym.
The Sunny Health gym mat is so versatile. It’s made of high-density PVC foam material and is waterproof and sweat resistant. What we really love is that they provide excellent support when exercising at an affordable price.
Here are 5 features that you will love:
- Available in a variety of sizes: small, medium and large. You can choose one that fits the best for your workout space and home gym equipment.
- Durable design: These are heavy-duty home gym mats. With heavy gym equipment, it is important to have a mat that is rigid and long-lasting.
- Waterproof: The mat is waterproof (and even sweatproof). So, whether you drop your water bottle or spill a lot of sweat, you don’t need to worry about your hardwood floors or your carpeting.
- Versatility: Use them as a permanent mat under your gym equipment or tuck them away after yoga, these gym mats are versatile in their functions.
- Affordable: The price ranges from about $20 to $50 depending on the size you choose.
You can use the Sunny Healthy & Fitness Gym Equipment Mat under your treadmill, elliptical, rower, exercise bike or as a jump rope, fitness or yoga mat. Overall, the Sunny Gym mats can be a perfect addition to your home gym.
2| Best Gym Mirror:
Before you say what… hear me out. Of course, you don’t ‘NEED’ need a mirror in your gym. But don’t underestimate it’s value. Here are a few reasons why having a mirror in your workout room can enhance your overall home gym look and exercise experience.
- A gym mirror will give you motivation. Research has shown that when you look at yourself as you workout, you will be more motivated to work out longer.
- Another important benefit of a gym mirror is when you are stretching and lifting, a mirror will help you assume the perfect position and postures for each step.
- And, if you set up your gym in a small area, a home gym mirror will enhance the space and make it bigger.
Take a look at the wall decor mirror sticker option below from Amazon. This is a cool (and affordable) way to customize and configure your mirror layout as needed.
The Hamilton Hills Commercial Restroom Full-Length Wall Mirror is another simple and pocket-friendly choice for your home gym.
Here are 4 significant features that you will love about the addition of this mirror in setting up a home gym:
- Design: The mirror has a sophisticated design. It is sleek and modern and comes with a frame of brushed metal.
- Durability: It is made of industrial-grade mirror. The solid core wood backing makes it stronger and stable.
- Functionality: It is a full-size mirror and is perfect for stretching and lifting areas of the home gym.
- Money-Back Guarantee: The mirror comes with a money-back guarantee.
3 | Best Workout Chart
If you already have a workout routine, you may not need it. However, for beginners, the workout charts are a great way to make and stick to a plan. You can find the best plans on the internet, print and frame them for your home gym.
However, if you don’t know much about workout routines, the 12 pack Large Size Workout Poster Set for a Home Gym can be a perfect fit for you to help fill the gaps. Your home gym will look more like a gym, and it will be that much easier for you to plan and follow exercise routines.
Here is everything that you will love about these effective visual workout guides:
- Comprehensive Guide: A detailed guide with 12 charts and 460 different exercises. That’s a massive collection for a lifetime.
- Clear Illustrations: The illustrations are clear and very easy to follow.
- Affordable: Instead of buying expensive workout DVDs and subscriptions, the charts are an affordable choice.
- Money-Back Guarantee: They come with 30-days money-back guarantee.
Home Gym Equipment Essentials Checklist
Let us talk about the heavier duty items now in the best equipment for a home gym. You can go as crazy and high-end as you like and collect as much stuff as you want.
But, for beginners, here is everything that you need for an affordable, high-quality and fully-functional gym.
4 |Best Treadmill for Home Gym:
A treadmill is a must-have for a home gym. Even if you only like walking or running for the workout, a treadmill can enhance the experience, the routine, and the results.
Here are just a few benefits of having a treadmill in your home gym:
- The treadmill offers the benefit of a low-impact workout.
- It is great for exercising both the upper and lower body.
- They provide a good aerobic workout.
- A treadmill is effective for burning calories and losing weight.
- Lastly, for people with hurting joints, the treadmill provides a great workout solution.
For a home gym must have, the NordicTrack T Series Treadmills (6.5S & 6.5Si Models) is an optimal functional option. This item is a smart treadmill that will make the workout easier and interesting.
The NordicTrack is multi-functional, and its smart technology allows you to enjoy studio-level sessions with global workouts. It is also great for cross-training exercises like full-body sculpting.
Here is what you will love about investing in a NordicTrack T Series Treadmill:
- Interactive Training: It provides an interactive personal training program powered by iFit. When you purchase the treadmill, it comes with a 1-year membership. It gives you access to the studio and global workout programs.
- Smart Display: The treadmill has a 10-inch HD touchscreen. The smart display uses smart sensors to monitor and show FlexSelect cushioning and EKG Grip Pulse.
- Functionality: This is perfect for running, jogging and walking. Moreover, smart speed adjustment and automatic incline-matching technology are great for a great at-home gym experience.
- Extra Features: The treadmill comes with lower noise levels and unique self-cooling technology.
Highly reviewed by thousands on Amazon, the NordicTrack treadmill has everything that your home gym needs. Technology, design, durability and above-all unbeatable smart functionality.
5 | Best Dumbbells for Home Gym:
Dumbbells are very important to home gym equipment. They are necessary for almost every kind of workout. A few reasons why dumbbells are a must-have for your workout routines:
- With dumbbells, you can create a variety of workouts including aerobic workouts.
- They help by raising heart rate and thus making it easy to burn calories.
- They are also great for building and strengthening your muscular system. Also, they enhance lean mass, improve metabolism and body functions.
- No strength training is complete without dumbbells.
- They are great for balancing exercises.
Therefore, they are necessary for a home gym because they are super effective for targeting exactly where you want to focus your strength training. Slow your lifts for more intensity and greater resistance.
- Design and Manufacturing: The dumbbells pop with colors. Moreover, they have a Neoprene coating for a comfortable grip and protecting your calluses.
- Convenient to Use: Neoprene dumbbells are very easy to use. The anti-rolling hexagon design ensures that they are easy and safe to use.
- Durability: They are stable. The dumbbells are made of high-quality cast iron. They are strong and durable.
- Variety of Weights: Neoprene dumbbells come in a variety of weights. You can get any that you like.
Once again dumbbells are great for those building, muscle strength and stamina. As you keep increasing in your strength, you can get dumbbells in heavier weights.
If you really want the power gym look for your home gym, the CAP Barbell 150-Pound Dumbbell Set with Rack is the one you should get. The set is for those who are look for an all-rounded variety but also need heavier weights.
Here is what you will love about the set:
- Variety of Weights: The set comes with 5 pairs of dumbbells from 5 to 25 pounds.
- There is an A-shaped rack, white rack color option, 2-tier rack – any of these top that helps you store dumbbells safely and neatly.
- Bundle up: You can also bundle up and order the set with an optional bench.
- Design: The dumbbells have a steel handle. The medium-depth provides a secure, no-slip grip.
- Durability: CAP dumbbells are durable and come with a protective coating.
- Convenience & Safety: All dumbbells are hexagonal which avoids rolling. Therefore, you can use them safely.
The CAP Barbell dumbbell set price varies because it come in MULTIPLE OPTIONS and configurations. So with their wide selection you will certainly find the right fit to give your home gym a professional look. Moreover, this product gives added versatility to your gym. Instead of buying more dumbbells with increased strength, the CAP Set will give you all the weights your home gym will ever need.
6 | Best Kettlebell for a Home Gym
The next thing on our home gym equipment essentials checklist is a Kettlebell. Here’s why:
- Kettlebells are excellent and effective for explosive workouts.
- They let you combine strength training and controlled motion within your exercise routine.
- The kettlebells are great for improving both fitness and flexibility.
- They help in strengthening the core and improving your overall total body training.
- Additionally they are aid in muscle toning, weight loss and building stamina.
Our must have pick for the best kettlebells for an at-home gym is Yes4All Vinyl Coated Kettlebells. Yes4Alls are high-quality and perform extremely well in training.
Here’s why you will love it:
- Design: The Yes4All kettlebell is made of cast iron. Their strong construction makes them extremely durable.
- Vinyl Coating: Talking about durability, the vinyl coat provides a perfect finish. It also helps in avoiding corrosion, reducing noise and protecting floors.
- Smooth Handle: The handle design of this kettlebell provides a secure grip.
- Stability: The kettlebell boasts a flat bottom making it more stable than your typical kettlebells on the market.
- Variety of Weights: Kettlebells are perfect for any gender and age. Just choose a weight that works for you.
Enhance your exercise experience by getting kettlebells for your home gym.
7 | Best Multi-functional Home Gym Equipment:
Okay, so the last thing that you must get for a home gym is a multi-functional station for full-body training. Why is this the best equipment for the home gym? Because a multi-functional gym system will provide users with a safe, effective, full-body workout.
- So one obvious reason is that it is multi-functional. When building a home gym, with limited resources and limited space, it’s important to use multi-functional equipment.
- Exercises mentioned below also include core strengthening, chest presses and vertical butterfly exercises.
- Promotes training and toning the whole body.
- Excellent for developing biceps, triceps, pectorals, legs and other muscle groups.
So, if you are looking for the best multi-functional workout station under a $500 budget, look no further than Marcy 150-lb Multifunctional Home Gym Station for Total Body Training. Here is what you will love about it:
- Strong Construction: This Marcy home gym system is made with industrial quality premium steel tubing. To make it stronger and durable, it has guard rods. The guard rods also protect your floors.
- Stable: The unit is very stable because of the guard rods that hold the weights in place.
- Weight Stack: Depending on your skill level and stamina, you can lock the weight stack. It comes with a 150 pounds pre-selected lock.
- Press Arms with Dual Action: The design has dual action press arms. This allows you to use its chest press as well as vertical exercises. A removable curl pad allows you to perform isolated bicep exercises.
- Easy to Use: A multi-function station may look daunting. But this one is very easy to use and provides great function.
- Versatility: You can use it to build muscle mass or simply stay in shape.
Compact, comfortable and convenient—the Marcy Multifunctional Workout Station combines both arms and leg stations. The innovative design is great for strengthening any muscle groups, once again providing a full-body workout. You can read more about the Marcy Home Gym as well as other systems in our total body best home gym under $500 review.
Final Thoughts in Shopping for and Deciding on What is the Best Equipment for a Home Gym
No matter what, home gym equipment is a powerful addition to any house as it will definitely add function and value to your life. Choosing home gym equipment can be daunting due to some of the hefty price tags and the multitude of options out there. So our hope is that this buying guide will help you pick affordable and high-performing equipment for your home gym. What is the best equipment for a home gym on your mind that you would like us to explore further? Let us know what you think and your feedback on our home gym essentials checklist by leaving a comment below!